A collaborator comes to the leader and says:
- I have to tell you about the behaviour of one your team members
- Ok. But first let me assess something: Have you passed what you mean to tell me through the three filters test ?
- The three filters ?
- Your words must pass through three filters . The first is the Truth. Have you checked that what you want to tell me is true?
- No, I have heard about it and ...
- Well, then you have certainly made it go through the second filter, that of Goodness. Is what you want to tell me something good?
- No, quite the opposite ....
- Turning then to the third filter: is what you want to say useful?
- Useful? Not really ...
- Well... if what you want to tell me is neither true nor good nor useful, I prefer not to hear it. As for you, I advise you to just forget it….
- Nonetheless tell me more. I am grateful that you came to see me. I would like to hear more from you. How are you? … How are you doing? ... Anything you would like to tell me? Any to share?.. ideas, suggestions, desires, ambitions….? Any engagements I can help you with?
Truth, Goodness, Utility, … Empathy.